Monday, October 8, 2012

Cheap Adorable Halloween Craft

I saw this super cute craft on Pinterest (https://pinterest.com/pin/410601690996213458/) and thought, I could do that!  This adorable Halloween footprints plaque is $40 after shipping.  I made my own, more rustic version, for less than $10.  It was so easy and cheap I made another for Grandma for her October Birthday.
Here's How:

You will need:

Orange, Black and White Acrylic Paint
Paint Brushes
Baby Feet
Water, Elmers Glue and jar with lid (or Modge Podge)
Black or Orange Ribbon or a Bottle Top and small screw (To Hang)
Wood Plaque (I bought mine from Walmart, I'm sure there's cheaper options)
Fine Tip Sharpie or Pen (optional)
Paper Grocery Bag - opened up to paint on
Baby Feet


Step One: Paint front and back of plaque black.  It took several coats for my plaque, the wood was soaking it up.  Just make sure to let coats dry fully in between, to prevent caking. Optional: I did leave a small window unpainted on back to write in Child's name, date and age.

Step Two: Undress baby from waist down and lay bootie on grocery bag.  Paint a rather thick coat of white paint on those adorable baby feet.  I then did a couple of test runs on a piece of the grocery bag.  I adjusted the amount of paint based on the cutest footprint samples.  Then I painted foot and pressed foot on plaque with toes pointing toward bottom of plaque, starting with heel and roll down to toes.  Repeat to desired amount of footprints, I did four based on plaque size.  Let Dry. 

My hubby helped entertain to accomplish this, our daughter was only 10 weeks. (I didn't do my own feet, just babies, but you can easily do footprints of the whole family if you have enough room.)  Wash off paint asap to prevent any accidents and remember to kiss each and every little toe.  You can paint in the feet ghosts with white paint for even print.  I chose to leave them just the smudged way they were, real ghosts are perfect and are see through.

Step Three: Use black paint to paint in little eyes and mouth on ghosts faces.  Use orange paint to paint in Happy Halloween and Boo! or any cute sayings you can think of.  Let Dry.  I needed a second coat on some of my lettering, apply if needed and let dry.

Step Four:  Use two coats of Modge Podge as directed or make homemade Modge Podge.  Mix equal parts water and elmers glue (the clear kind) in a jar.  I used an old Salsa jar.  Shake it around and ta da, you have homemade Modge Podge.  Use a clean paint brush to apply a thin layer over the front of your completely dry plaque.  Let dry and repeat a second thin coat.  Let dry again.

Step Five (Optional): Write in Baby's name, date and age in your small window.  Let ink dry and paint home made Modge Podge over back of plaque or apply Modge Podge as directions instruct.  I recommend two coats. Let dry.
 
Step Six:  I used black ribbon I bought on clearance and used full strength Elmers to glue onto back.  Other option I just saw on Pinterest, you can use a soda can top and small screw to hang plaque on wall.  Directions are here https://pinterest.com/pin/256986722457335576/

No comments:

Post a Comment