Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Stretch your wet dog food

     We are starting to run low on wet dog food and that got me thinking... how can I stretch it out? See, my dog Milli won't eat plain dry dog food alone, her palette is much too refined (even though we buy her all natural no mystery meat dog food).  I blame it on my mom that started feeding her table scraps as a puppy when we came to visit. 
      After researching and experimenting with her likes (what is this, Facebook?) I found a very inexpensive way to make her wet dog food.  Now all dogs have different needs, and I add this to dry food in a half and half ratio.  But my disclaimer is to always ask your vet before starting your dog on a home made diet.

Millie's Mix
Ingrediants:2 cups water
1 cup rice (I'm using brown but use whatever you have on hand)
1 cup left over veges (this varies but I tend to make large amounts of greens so I usually use kale, collards, etc)
2 tablespoons flax seeds which I grind in a coffee grinder I use solely for spices (spices are much cheaper whole)
1 tablespoon bacon fat (I do solely for taste purposes for Milli feel free to leave put if your dog was weight issues or heart issues)
1 tablespoon olive oil for omega fats and healthy coats
1 can of wet dog food or leftover meat (I add the meat from the greens seasoning)
Optional: 3 days doses of powder vitamins (if you give your dog vitamins, Milli has glucosamine multi for her arthritic hips)

Directions: Boil water and add bacon fat, olive oil and rice. Cook 10 minutes. Then add veges and meat/dog food until cooked or heated through. Check done ness of rice. When tender take off heat and stir in vitamins and flax seeds.  Cool down and wait for the doggie loving!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your wonderful pet cooking experience with us. I love your post. Have a look here for the best Natural Food for Dogs and Cats online.

    ReplyDelete