Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Homemade Oven Cleaner


When we bought our house the oven was a mess.  You couldn't see through the glass.  I researched and found an alternative to nasty oven cleaners that involves, wait for it... wait for it.... baking soda and water.

I thought there was no way just baking soda and water can clean my oven.  But it worked!!  No major scrubbing involved either.

Start with a cool oven.  Sprinkle about 1/4 inch baking soda over everything that has caked on mess.

Mist with water from a spray bottle just enought to lightly saturate.

Let baking soda dry.  Then mist again.  Baking soda when dried again should be hard, if not give another mist and let dry.

I left mine marinate over night then removed baking soda with wet sponge

Here were the results:


I could see myself in the door, and better yet, I could see through to the floor when opened!!  But not all junk is gone.  So I repeated process and let dry overnight once more.


20 Years of gunk gone! Incredible.  I did have to scrub the corners and still only managed to get rid of about 85%.  But so much better.

Side note: I cleaned the racks by spraying them with hydrogen peroxide, let sit for around 30 minutes and wipe off the nastiness.



1 comment:

  1. All effective in their own ways, it would still take a really long time to finish the task, and usually make a bigger mess. The stones are difficult to get out and usually extremely hot. They were even more difficult to clean no matter what I would do.


    Oven Cleaning brisbane | Oven Cleaning Melbourne

    ReplyDelete