Monday, October 1, 2012

Miracle Carpet Cleaner

My dog, Milli, is getting up in age and really hates to go do her business in the rain.  So, to my not-so-surprise, there was a we're spot waiting for me this rainy morning on our living room carpet.  The smell could knock you down.

In my efforts to live cheaply and chemical-free I searched the web on pet stain removers.  What I found was amazingly easy and worked faster than any other expensive oxy cleaner I've tried.  Here's the secret recipe the way I executed it:

Step 1 Remove any "presents" and blot up all moisture left.

Step 2 Heavily saturate area with half vinegar and half water concoction. Get in there real good to wet the carpet all the way through.  I used an old carpet cleaner spray bottle cleaned well which I labeled with ingredients and purpose, for quick reference.  I scrubbed this mixture in with a brush.

Step 3 Let sit for a minute or two and blot up with paper towels or rag.  I used the raggedy doggie towel we use to wipe off dirty paws so as to save paper towels. Eureka! Smell is gone.  Vinegar stifles the ammonia in urine and disinfects.  Genius!

Step 4 Sprinkle area with baking soda and drizzle Dawn dishwasher detergent over spot (just about a teaspoon).  Then I sprayed the area with hydrogen peroxide.  (Was I the only one who didn't know the "Oxy" stood for peroxide?  Ah-ha moment) Then I used same brush and scrubbed the carpet to get the stain out.

Step 5 Wait for mixture to dry and vacuum up.  Ta Da!

Yes, it's really that easy.

Thank you http://www.dogchatforum.com/dog_urine_odor.htm for the information. You're a life saver!

No comments:

Post a Comment